Vegan Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake
This loaf cake is sure to please everyone with its moist tart lemony flavor.
One of my dearest friends has a daughter who is an absolutely amazing teenager and is vegan. I love and admire her spirit, dedication, and creativity so much and therefore, really try my best to find delicious things that she can enjoy while not compromising on flavor. When spending the weekend with these lovely friends, I try to make food that everyone can eat. With this goal in mind, here is my recipe for Vegan Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake. I don’t have a lot of experience (yet) with vegan baking, but I understand from my friends that lemon drizzle works very well because it produces a wonderfully moist cake. Eat this while it’s still warm. So delicious. All you need is a nice hot espresso and you’re good to go. Bon appétit!
For the non-vegan version, my go-to recipe is Nigella Lawson’s Lemon Syrup Cake from How to be a Domestic Goddess. It’s heavenly and you can find it here. I always make a double batch and bake it in a large rectangular baking dish. Otherwise there is never enough!
- 2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup (100ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (170ml) cold water
- Juice of 1 lemon (for cake)
- Juice of 1 lemon (for icing)
- 1 1/2 cup (150g) icing sugar
- Heat oven to 180°C/360°F
- Line a rectangular loaf baking tin with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk until blended. Add the zest and sugar and mix.
- Add the oil, water, and juice of 1 lemon. Using a wooden spoon, mix until just combined.
- Poor into the tin and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, mix the juice of one lemon with the icing sugar until combined.
- When the cake is just out of the oven, poke all over with a toothpick and drizzle the icing over the whole cake. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow the cake to absorb all the delicious icing.
- Turn out onto a serving plate when cool and slice it up. It will not last long!
If you would like to get new recipes and stories every week, please Follow Us.