Aromatic Rice Pilaf with Carrots and Tender Beef
As the weather turns colder, this aromatic rice and meat dish is a perfect family dinner, real comfort food. And it is very convenient and easy to prepare. In Arabic, it’s called Timman Jizzar, literally Carrot Rice.
First you brown the meat, and then add the onions:
Next, add the broth and simmer until the meat is cooked:
In a different pot, cook the carrots and rice in some of the broth:
Until the rice is steaming and fluffy and the carrots are tender:
Then put it all together for a warm delicious meal…
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound (500g) beef or lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp clove, ground (optional)
- 1/2 cardamom, ground (optional)
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2-3 large carrots, diced (you want the same amount of carrots as rice)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati or long grain rice
- Wash and soak the rice in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and brown the meat on all sides over a high fire, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and fry for another 5 minutes. If dry, add another Tbps of oil.
- Add the cinnamon, clove, cardamom, black pepper, and salt. Cook for another 2 minutes, then add the broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the meat is cooked and tender.
- Drain the rice. From the cooking pot with the meat, measure out 1 1/2 cups of broth and place into another medium-sized non-stick cooking pot. Bring to a boil and add the carrots. Cook 1 minute on medium heat, then add the rice. Cover and bring to a boil again.
- Leaving the rice on medium heat, allow the rice to soak up all the water, about 5 minutes. When all the water is soaked, turn the heat down to very low, give the rice and carrots mixture a quick stir to fluff up the rice, cover and allow to cook for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and leave the rice to sit covered in the pot for 15 minutes to allow it to steam and absorb all the liquid.
- In the meantime, bring the meat and broth to a boil and reduce the liquid until it thickens a bit.
- To serve, arrange the rice on a dish and top with the meat stew. Service with plain yogurt, salad, and garnish with chopped parsley.
Would you like new recipes and stories every week? Please Follow Us.