Pear and Blackberry Cobbler
Pear and Blackberry Cobbler is a beautiful dessert to make this time of year, with all the wonderful pears available. The cinnamony, vanilla, orange flavor sings of a cozy warm winter dessert. And with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream? Heaven.
I love how ice-cream just begins to melt slightly when it’s placed on top of a warm cobbler. That’s the moment when I love to dip my spoon into it and have my first taste. Oh oh yum. And you can basically put this together in 20 minutes and then wait for it to bubble and bake.
First you prepare the fruit mixture:
Then prepare the batter and spoon over the fruit:
Then you bake until the crust is golden and crispy on top and the fruit is bubbling. That’s it! So easy. Look at that golden crust and juicy fruit!
For the fruit mixture:
- 2 cups frozen blackberries (do not thaw)
- 3 large pears, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp Poire William (optional) or 2 Tbsp orange juice (or a little of both)
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the batter:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 Tbps for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream (optional) (ok – not optional, it’s a must)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/160°C. Butter an oval baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss the berries, pears, 2/3 cup sugar, Poire William or orange juice, orange zest, and cinnamon. Arrange the fruit mixture in the baking dish.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until blended.
- Spoon the batter in dollops over the fruit. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of sugar.
- Bake the cobbler until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 1 hour. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
Would you like new recipes and stories every week? Please Follow Us.