Chocolate Banana Bread
This delicious Chocolate Banana Bread is truly magnificent. As I bake it, the house begins to smell like a bakery, full of vanilla and chocolate and warmth. We often eat it right off the cooling rack, before it’s cooled 🙂 The melted chocolate chunks are irresistible. This recipe is based on Nigella Lawson’s Banana Bread.
- 1 1/2 cups (175g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125g) butter (melted)
- 3/4 (150g) white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small very ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- A handful of chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/325ºF.
- Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and using a wooden spoon, combine well.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs, then the mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- Then, with your wooden spoon, stir in the walnuts and chocolate chunks.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just blended.
- Scrape into a loaf tin (23 x 13 x 7cm / 9 x 5 x 3 inches) and bake in the oven for about 1 hour, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a rack to cool.
Would you like new recipes and stories every week? Please Follow Us.