Spicy Lentil Soup
This wonderful red lentil soup is bright, colorful, and delicious. And on top of all that, it’s so easy to make in minutes. You can serve it with fresh bread as a lunch or light dinner, or with some cheddary grilled cheese sandwiches to make it more hearty.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chile powder or cayenne, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 liter (1 quart) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over a medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste, sugar, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the lentils, carrot, potato, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary. Also add water if it seems too dry.
- Using a hand-held blender, purée the soup right in the pot. The consistency is up to you, depending if you like it very smooth or chunky.
- Stir in lemon juice. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, croutons, green onions, or toasted pine nuts.
Would you like new recipes and stories every week? Please Follow Me.