Chunky Tomato Soup with Crispy Polenta Sticks
Ever need a super quick and easy meal but also want something flavorful and delicious? Every day, you say? Well here is a perfect answer. Chunky Tomato Soup and Crispy Polenta Sticks. If you have 30 minutes, then you are good to go.
Cook the polenta and refrigerate.
Make the soup and let it simmer. Do something else for 20 minutes. Then come back, cut up the polenta and fry it.
Puree the soup. And you’re done!
How easy was that??? MMMMmmmmm.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 8 large tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sweet pepper puree (or 1 bell pepper, chopped)
- 2 cups broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste, basil to garnish
- 1 1/2 cups polenta
- 2 cups broth
- salt to taste
- olive oil for frying
- For the Polenta: In a medium pot, bring the broth to a boil and slowly pour in the polenta, stirring gently. Add salt if necessary. Keep stirring on low heat until the polenta is cooked and sticking together, about 10 minutes or so, depending on the type of polenta. Read the package instructions for best results.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then press into a very lightly oiled tray to form a layer about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from the fridge and cut into long strips. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and fry each stick until golden, turning to get all sides.
- For the Soup: In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, broth, sweet pepper, and spices. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes until the tomatoes are tender. Turn off heat and puree to desired consistency.
- Serve the soup with polenta sticks on the side and garnish with basil.