Creamy Garlic Spinach Pasta
This pasta is a family favorite, and the way I got my kids to start eating Spinach years ago. Serve as a vegetarian meal, or marinate and grill some chicken breasts to serve on the side if you need a more hearty meal with extra protein.
A note about the measurements in this recipe… they are very imprecise. Basically, prepare it according to your own tastes. If you like it to be more “spinachy”, add more spinach. If you like it a little lighter, add more cream. And so on.
- A few Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a large bunch of baby spinach
- a handful of parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- pasta of your choice
- chicken breast (optional)
- To prepare the sauce, sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil and butter for about 2 minutes, add the spinach and parsley and cover until wilted. Add the cream, parmesan cheese, and seasoning. Stir and cook on low heat for another few minutes. Use a handheld blender to blend it into a uniform sauce.
- Prepare the pasta as indicated on the package, reserving some of the cooking liquid, in case you need to add to the sauce if it’s too thick. When ready, pour the cooked pasta into the pot with the spinach sauce, mix, and cook for about one minute. Add some cooking liquid if it seems too dry. Serve with a little grated parmesan and sliced grilled chicken breast.
Note: I marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling in olive oil, honey, minced garlic, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.