Whole Wheat Pasta with Spicy Garlic Asparagus Sauce
Springtime means asparagus! I love this vegetable so much and wait all year for it to be in season. This pasta dish is easy and quick and loaded with spring asparagus. Try it!
Sauté the garlic and peppers in butter and olive oil. The combination of olive oil and butter is really yummy and the olive oil prevents the butter from burning!
Add the asparagus and other ingredients and it’s done in 5 minutes!
- 1 package whole wheat spaghetti
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 fresh chipotle pepper, seeds removed, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup broth
- 2 bunches of green asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, sauté the garlic and chipotle pepper in olive oil and butter for one minute, then add the asparagus and broth, cover and cook until the asparagus is tender, but still bright green. Do not overcook! Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is done, pour out the liquid, reserving some of the cooking liquid, and add the pasta to the asparagus sauce. Stir on low heat for 1-2 minutes and serve with grated Parmesan cheese. Maybe a little garlic bread too?
NOTE: When handling the chipotle peppers, make sure to wash your hands REALLY REALLY WELL after chopping. You don’t want to accidentally touch anything or anyone with that spice on you! Ouch!