Turkey Burgers with Melted Cheddar and Guacamole
I’m trying to find ways to eat lean protein and still keep meals interesting and delicious. This Turkey Burger fits the bill and was especially popular with the kids. I have a feeling it’s going to become a classic–from the wonderful cookbook Keepers by Caroline Campion and Kathy Brennan.
For the burgers:
- 1 kg (2 lbs) ground turkey meat, preferably a combination of dark and white meat
- 1/4 cup thick creamy yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- leaves from 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 quarter-inch chunks of cheddar cheese
- olive oil for cooking
- Burger buns of your choice, I used a lovely wholegrain bun
For the guacamole:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or creamy yogurt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- a small handful of chopped cilantro
- For the burgers: In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, lemon zest, yogurt, mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper. When mixed well, divide into 12 equal size balls. Press each ball into a thin patty about 1/4 inch thick. Place one chunk of cheese on the center of 6 patties, then cover with the remaining 6 patties. Gently pat to seal the edges.
- Grill the patties over a medium heat in olive oil about 5 minutes on each side, covered, until browned and cooked through. Serve the burgers on the buns with guacamole sauce and fixings such as lettuce, onion, and red cabbage.
- For the guacamole: Combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, mashing the avocado with a fork until it reached the desired consistency. Serve over the turkey burgers.