Quinoa Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
This is a wonderful way to make quinoa with naturally caramelized sweet potatoes, green onions, lemon, and parsley. Simple and delicious as a light main course or a side dish.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth to cook the quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1-2 Tbps freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Urfa pepper, optional
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Toss the sweet potato chunks with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, to taste, and place in a single layer on an oven tray. Roast at 375°F/190°C for 35-45 minutes, until golden and tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, cook the quinoa. You can do it your way, or try this…Rinse the quinoa and drain with a fine strainer. Place the quinoa in a pot with the water (or broth for a tastier flavor) and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Give it a little stir to make sure the quinoa isn’t sticking together, then cover and cook until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa becomes translucent so that you can see the little germ spirals, about 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the heat off immediately and let the quinoa sit for 5 minutes with the lid on. Open and give it a little fluff with a fork. If there is a little water left, drain it, or if the quinoa still is a bit crunchy, add more water and cook a few more minutes. Allow the quinoa to cool.
- Combine quinoa and sweet potato with the lemon juice, green onions, and parsley. All amounts are flexible, so you can play with it and make it the way you like it. Season to taste and enjoy! Add a pinch of Urfa pepper for an extra little zing! For variety, you can try adding other herbs such a mint or basil. You’re the chef!